Monday 12 May 2008

My first serious commitment

I confess I have a big problem. I am commitment phobic.
Yes folks you heard it here first - although I doubt that it is much of a secret.
Since I have quit my job to lead a hedonistic lifestyle, I have spent a few moments pondering my life - past, present and future and it turns out that I am incredibly commitment phobic, here are some my symptoms:

  • I cannot stay in a job for very long, the longest was 18 months.
  • The idea of a permanent job makes me break out in hives.
  • In my dating life, I run for the hills as soon as the guy wants to get serious.
  • I rent instead of own my flat.
  • During the course of my adult life I have lived in 3 countries and am considering moving on again.
After this little revelation I decided to do something about it. I am not getting any younger and I need to work on at least being able to hold down a job. No stuff that, oooh perhaps a man? That one would definitely be easier.

Anyway back to my game plan. I figured that I need to have someone or something in my life that I am responsible for. It had to be a living creature. I thought about getting a puppy but they tend to poop and need feeding, plus not a good idea when you live in a flat with no garden. So after much deliberation I decided to get a plant, at least if it died I wouldn't feel too guilty.

Off I went to the flower shop. I wandered around for a good 20 minutes unable to find my perfect little plant soul mate. Eventually I saw him. Absolutely gorgeous, petite, petals as white as snow. I grabbed him quickly and rushed to the salesdesk. Two minutes later I was the proud owner of a...well at that stage I didn't know what he was. (It turns out that he is a Japanese Peace Lilly)

Needless to say I was overjoyed and made sure that he had the best, sunniest spot in the flat.

Alfred, yes that is his name, and I have a wonderful relationship. We talk everyday and he is even starting to get new buds. Maybe this commitment thing isn't too difficult after all. I reckon that if I haven't killed Alfred by the end of the month, there may be hope for me yet.

Alfred

1 comment:

Solive said...

Ag he's lovely :)