Thursday 8 May 2008

Picnicking at the Police Station

You see it all started when my friend, Ms. C, lost her passport yet again. Apparently they tend to evaporate into thin air when left lying around her flat for long periods of time....but I digress.

7pm last night I get the call, "Yo dudette, wanna go for a drink?"
Lying lazily on the sofa, willing myself to get up and forage for food in my barren kitchen, the offer is tempting.
"I've got to go to the Police Station first and report my passport lost"
hmmm...cute men in uniform - I'm starting to like this idea
"We can go for a drink afterwards"
OK sold, what single woman can resist the offer of cute men and booze.
Hunger forgotten, I throw on the face paint and make a mad dash for the door.

40 minutes later, we enter the cop shop and the giggles start as the first tall dark handsome man walks past us. Oh boy, this could be entertaining.
There is only one cop on duty so we settle down in reception area and wait our turn.

Suddenly this woman rushes in, looking agitated and quite distressed. She starts rambling on about being assaulted. Not quite sure what to do with this information, Ms. C and I look at each other and Ms. C kindly suggests she go ahead of her as she only needs to report her lost passport. The woman shouts "Oh well you sort out your passport, I'll go have a drink" and storms out.

Slightly confused, we start chatting to another girl sitting quietly in the corner.
"Well I'm only here to hand in some keys" lifting up this huge bundle of keys.
We all just pack out laughing.

Just as the cop comes out to call the next person, mad woman returns. She starts rambling on telling the cop a completely different story. Key Girl, Ms. C and I exchange puzzled glances. Key Girl practically throws the keys at the cop and makes a hasty retreat to the safety of the streets. It's just Ms. C, the cop, Mad Woman and me now. We tell him to sort her out first and sit back down in the reception area.

Hunger has set in but Ms. C is always prepared for such occasions. Out comes the nuts and cookies which look suspiciously like dagga cookies.
"Umm.. Ms. C I kinda don't feel like getting arrested now."
Of course the giggles start once again and we settle down to our picnic.
The cop looks on curiously through the glass partition, I'm taking a wild guess here but I think that he isn't used to seeing two girls laughing and chowing down in the reception area of his station.

I can hear Mad Woman shouting at the cop, I turn to look. The poor lad looks like he needs some help. My maternal instincts kick in and I want to go save him but that would probably be bad for his ego. One more screech from Mad Woman and she charges to the door of the police station. Ms. C. helps her open it and Mad Woman flees.

Finally our turn, Ms. C gets the report filled out and flirts with the cop. Apparently he was going to get Mad Woman sectioned. None of us mentioned that Ms. C aided and abetted her escape. We slink sheepishly from the station in the direction of alcohol and in search of another adventure...

2 comments:

Solive said...

Very funny!

As Ms C, I can say that the evening did start like that and ended with some rather excellent cocktails and missing the last train home.

Excellent result!

Terri said...

hehehe... very funny :-)