Wednesday 28 May 2008

Ramblings of a Procrastinating Writer

I know I should be working today, but to be honest, I just can't be bothered. I am perfecting the art of procrastination and trust me that isn't easy to do.

So far I have managed to spring clean my flat, talk to Alfred (my pot plant), stare out of the window and contemplate whether we will actually have summer this year. I've done the washing and danced around the flat like a lunatic, listening to Pink. I am running out of things to do, and I can feel the guilt sweep over me like a dark cloud but I don't want to give in to it.

Guilt, the sign of a Catholic upbringing. Why is it us ex-Catholics are still bound by the chains of guilt? We are really quite a pathetic lot, almost apologetic for our mere existence. Where others live quite happy, we feel guilty for living our lives the way we want to and not the way others expect us to. We feel guilty for our contribution to global warning, starving Africans and for taking time out from work for a little "me" time. It is so crazy, as soon as the guilt seeps into our psyches we imagine God standing and waving his finger at us as if we were naughty school children.

OK I give up - the guilt is too great. I'll put on some calming music, be a good girl and write my article. Damn I hate being a good girl.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear "Jax",
I come to wish a nice weekend to you.
I want to say that there are many points upon which persons can agree or disagree. You are a good girl,so your point of view is quite a reasonable one.
Kind regards from Brazil

Jax said...

Hi Geraldo,

Thank you, I had a lovely weekend -I hope you had a good weekend as well.

Thanks for visiting my blog,
Kind Regards
Jax